We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Valerian is a very aromatic herbaceous perennial well known for its great ability to attract cats.
Its pretty bloom has the advantage of attracting bees to your garden.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Valeriana officinalis
Family : Caprifoliaceae, valerianaceae
Type : Perennial
Height : 60 to 80 cm
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary
Flowering: May to September
Health: benefits and virtues of valerian
It is recommended to plant the officinal valerian in autumn respecting a distance of 30 cm between each plant.
You can also plant in spring subjects purchased in pots or cups provided they arewater a little more in the beginning.
- No need to add potting soil because Valerian's needs are limited.
- Multiplication by division of the tuft in autumn
Size, maintenance of valerian
Cut the wilted flowers as you go.
- Cut back as short as possible in the fall, once the leaves have wilted
The different varieties of valerian
There are around 200 species of valerians.
Other valerians are also of interest:
- The great valerian, garden valerian, also called valerian phu or valeriana phu: sometimes grown in gardens. Its root is found to be much more developed than that of officinal valerian. Its smell is less strong. It is no longer used in medicine.
- Red centranthe or centranthus ruber: this valerian is cultivated for ornamentation under the name of "Spanish lilac". This plant is also used in medicine, it contains a lot of valepotriates and has virtues identical to those of valerian.
> And also valeriana dioica, valeriana tuberosa, valeriana montana.
All you need to know about valerian
Not to be confused with garden valerian, Centranthus ruber, officinal valerian is a herbaceous plant that is also called catnip.
- Its peculiar smell attracts cats indeed.
Medicinal valerian is remarkable for its ease of cultivation and its great ability to adapt to all types of soil.
In addition, it does not require any watering.
Its flowers which range from pink to red will participate in the beauty of your rockeries, your beds but also of your hotpotwelded your planters.
We can consider that it is one of the plants of "grandmothers" and finds its place perfectly in wild gardens.
Use of officinal valerian
The roots of officinal valerian are used in many pharmaceutical preparations.
Finally, the roots would have sedative virtues. They calm the nervous contractions like insomnia, neurosis or even hysteria.
Smart tip about valerian
For a beautiful decorative effect, mix the colors.