We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Chili con carne is a delicious dish made with beef and chili. Of Texan origin, there are many variations of which here is an excellent one.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 300 g of dried red beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 can of corn (medium size)
- 25g butter
- 500 g minced steak
- 25 cl of tomato juice
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. Tabasco coffee
- Coarse salt
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Chili con carne recipe
A very exotic and simple recipe for a convivial meal with friends.
- Soak the kidney beans overnight in cold water.
The next day,
- drain them, rinse them, plunge them into a large saucepan of cold water.
- Add the bay leaves, bring to a boil and cook, covered and simmering for 2 hours and 30 minutes (the beans should crush easily).
- Season with coarse salt 30 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Grind and peel the tomatoes, seed them. Cut into small cubes.
- Drain the corn and kidney beans.
In a casserole dish,
- Melt the butter, sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the meat, cook 5 minutes over high heat, stirring.
- Add the corn, kidney beans, tomato juice, cumin and Tabasco.
- Mix well, check the seasoning and simmer for 20 minutes.
You can add diced peppers to this recipe and serve with white rice. To soften the chili you can also add a spoonful of crème fraîche at the end of the recipe.
For an express chili con carne: buy the canned red beans and peeled tomatoes. You will be grateful to him during your improvised evenings!
Pair the wine with the chili con carne
To match chili con carne with wines, the difficulty will mainly depend on the amount of Tabasco or chili used.
In mexican preparation, few wines will be able to cope with the power of the burning; then, to temper the heat of the pepper, we will choose the contrast provided by a slightly sweet and very fruity wine as can be first vintages of jurançon.
In preparation where the pepper will be less present, red wines, warm and round in the mouth like a châteauneuf-du-pape or a ventoux will go in the direction of the dish while having enough power not to be dominated by it.
We can also prefer to play the contrast at the aromatic level with a faugères which, by its fruity, floral and liquorice notes, will attenuate the vegetable of the pepper while having the sweetness and the power of mouth necessary to face the dish.
Price idea (in 2007):
- jurançon 7 to 10 €,
- châteauneuf-du-pape 10 to 35 €, - ventoux 6 to 12 €,
- faugères 4 to 12 €. Mr. Chassin
Words from the kitchen
Chop: cut into small cubes.
Monder: peel a vegetable or fruit (peach, tomato, etc.) after having immersed it for a few seconds in boiling water, cool it immediately in very cold water so as to stop cooking. The skin is then removed very easily.
Recipe: A. Beauvais Photo: F. Hamel